Built: C20th by Dran Webb
Project Type: Interior Relighting Project
Project cost: circa £120,000 ex VAT & Fees
Completed: Novemeber 2016
Case Study No: 3413
St Joseph’s Church in Bishop Stortford is a handsome Italianate church built for the Redemptorist order in Italian basilican style from designs by E. Doran Webb 1904 and consecrated in 1906. The church retains many internal fittings of note, some of them paid for by the builder of the church, Fr Oliver Vassall-Phillips.
The Classical arcades of the nave have Doric pilasters marking the bay divisions, and stucco cherubs in the spandrels, bearing ribbons incorporating the names of English Catholic martyrs of the Reformation period. In the western bay there are panels with stucco cherubs, also recording English martyrs.
The new lighting scheme consists of a series of beautiful crafted chromed electroliers designed using the patterns of the existing sanctuary lamps as the principal theme. The electroliers cast an even light across the width of the church and provide feature lighting to the side altars and new baptistery created in the north transept. Additional spotlighting provides subtle emphasis to the sanctuary and Altar as well as fine details of the Lady Chapel and side altars.
Posted On: August 8, 2017