Listed: Grade II*
Project Type: Interior Relighting Project
Project cost: circa £100,000 ex VAT & Fees
Completed: December 2015
Case Study No: 3580
The congregation of St Michael’s Church was begun in 1881 at a building nearby where a betting shop now stands; a service was held in the shop to begin the celebrations for the church’s 125th anniversary in 2002.
The present building was the first London church designed by Bodley and Garner and is built of brick with stone dressings in the decorated Gothic style. The nave was completed in 1881 and the chancel added and consecrated in 1894 under its first vicar, Father Edward Penfold. A north west tower was planned but never built.
The building had been on the Historic England “at risk” register and the relighting and rewiring was funded by a generous grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The new lighting design is centred on a set of pendants designed in the same style as original gas fittings that wrapped around the nave columns.
Additional spotlighting illuminated the altars and key liturgical features including dramatic statues and a fine Calvary.
Posted On: September 26, 2016